Jan 31, 2011

Cake Pops!

If you are a blogger and baker like myself than you have probably heard of Bakerella. If not, she has the most amazing blog and bakes the cutest little things. Check out her blog and her loads of inspiration for craftiness! I attempted to make her infamous cake pops before but I heated the melts wrong and couldn't get anywhere after that. Last weekend I hosted a party and got them down! I just made simple ones because I planned on just making cake balls but when they turned out I grabbed my lollipop sticks and went to town. They are simple but delicious and all of the guests liked them too. Best of all, my husband, who just likes yummy simple things was finally impressed. Usually I'll spends hours making something impressive but he would rather have mac n cheese or a brownie. Finally I found a desert that he wouldn't stop eating and one that I can't stop thinking about! I bought her book last week from a certificate I got from doing a survey so I only paid tax. I was so excited I took a picture and uploaded it to Facebook. Her book looks like this and teaches how to make fabulously cute cake pops.

So now I"m going to show you how much simpler mine look compared to the ones on the book, haha. The ingredients and instructions are simple but you really need to plan ahead and dedicate at least a few hours to make cake pops. Here is the recipe for the cake pops I made. Keep in mind you can use any cake flavor, frosting, and candy melts as you desire.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
  2. 1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
  3. 1 package chocolate melts
  4. wax paper
  5. lollipop sticks 
  6. styrofoam block
Directions:
  1. Bake the cake according to the directions. After cake is cooked and cooled completely cut the cake into four sections. Take two pieces and rub them against each other and crumble into large bowl.
  2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting with a metal spoon.
  3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
  4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
  5. Melt chocolate melts in microwave per directions on package.
  6. Dip the lollipop stick in about an inch of the chocolate. Take the cake ball and stick the lollipop stick in.
  7. Dip the cake pop in the chocolate, being careful not to get any crumbs in the bowl of chocolate.
  8. Tap of any extra chocolate and then stick your cake pop on a styrofoam block or item of your choice.
Here you have it, my first success at cake pops, yay! I have so much room for improvement but wow they are amazing,so moist, and so cute!
{Calissa}

No comments:

Post a Comment